Sunday 28 April 2013

Task 6b


As I mentioned earlier, the tools I want to use for my inquiry are:
 a) Focus group
b) Surveys/Questionnaires

My inquiry focuses on a psychological and deep level of understanding. For me is important to know what recent graduates are struggling with within their career; why they struggle and how they target it in order to maintain their focus and determination towards their dream.
My first thought is to create a group with 5-6 recent graduates from Performing Art Colleges. This will give me the opportunity to maintain communication with them and also be able to look back on any discussions and reflect.

One of the big benefits of a Focus group is that its members can answer my queries in their own space and time. This way they won’t feel pressured and they’ll be able to give me accurate and meaningful answers. For me is really important to emphasise the privacy and security within the group. Not all members will feel comfortable talking about a subject in front of other members of the group, so giving the option of private answers and securing its content from the public is vital.

 
One of the reasons I decided to choose Surveys and Questionnaires as my second tool, is because they give me the ability to gather a range of data and results. The tricky part is to make sure my questions are written precisely and are always linked to what I’d like to achieve from my audience referring to my inquiry.

 
The reason why I didn’t choose Observation as my tool is because I am aware that everyone is an individual and it wouldn’t be possible to gather meaningful information in such a short amount of time.

Although observing a dance class or an audition might be useful as I could see the reactions of the graduates during these events, I still feel that I won’t be able to understand the true meaning behind their behaviour, as it’s the point before and after these events that true feelings are usually being expressed and exposed.

 
Regarding the tool of Interview, it would have been a helpful way of research if I was concentrating on a specific type of individual. Here I have to do with many emotions, behaviours and reactions of people. In the end of my research I will be analyzing and researching these behaviours in order to present long term solutions that will lead to successful/happy performers. An interview could be interesting in order to ‘’investigate’’ in a deep level and meaning the inner thoughts of the graduate, but it wouldn’t be a practical and efficient way to gather a variety of information.        

No comments:

Post a Comment