Tuesday 23 April 2013

Task 5c

My final enquiry is: How can *recent graduates from Performing Art Colleges maintain their confidence, commitment and motivation in regards to their profession in the Performing Arts Industry

* 1-2 years after graduation  

Reading the Reader based on Professional Ethics, made me think a lot about the approach I had in my profession since graduation, and how this affected my development as a Performer.

My main concern in my profession is to be employed and to be able to perform without having to do secondary jobs.
As soon as I graduated I decided to become a member in several casting websites in order to get as much experience as possible. Although it was a great way to build up my CV I felt that I didn't always get rewarded for my effort. Being paid in your Profession is a must and not something that should be argued; getting paid for your work means that you are being respected and rewarded for your commitment. Although I did some unpaid jobs I didn't regret it; I still learnt and achieved a lot as a performer and I also expanded my contacts.

What we should remember though, is to grab opportunities that come in our way but to also think how much effort, time and money we put in our training.

If I had to see this subject in an ethical point of view, then I would say that in most cases of displayed unpaid work on official websites, the employer doesn't have ethos or respect towards the performer.
Of course this doesn't apply to every company or employer but If they don't work for free why should I?

Is not a coincidence that most performers end up doing every day jobs in order to support themselves and have a decent living.
I believe that If we as performers and especially graduates react and stop accepting unpaid or low paid jobs in the Industry, then we will see a change from the side of the employer; Action-Reaction. Colleges/Teachers should speak to students about the ethics within the industry, as well as give advice, in order to avoid dissapointment and exploitation later on in their careers.

Is not going to be easy but it's possible!

   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment