Sunday 11 November 2012

Task 2d Inquiry

Developing awareness and discovering yourself is very useful. You become creative and day by day you realise what activities and which people around you truthfully make you happy!

1. What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about?
2. Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthousiastic?

1. As an actress I find that connecting physically and emotionally with other actors gets me really enthousiastic! I recently started attending the repetition classes at 'The Actors Temple' and I found out that I am not afraid to get out from my little box and get exposed! I personally adore Sanford Meisner http://www.neighborhoodplayhouse.org/meisner.html who developed the Meisner technique; he opened the eyes of so many actors and made them see into, understand and breath life into a stage character. This technique is bringing the actor intimate and practical knowledge of himself; this is to free him of habits which prevent him from behaving directly from the impulses of his true nature and it is the objective that Constantine Stanislavsky had in mind in stating his formulations of acting laws. The goal of the Meisner Technique is: ''To live truthfully under given imaginary circumstances.''
I really want to find out more about this technique and through experiencing it become a 'complete' actress.

2. I admire my acting teacher Mark Wakeling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wakeling who helped me come out of my shell as an actress but especially as a person! He showed me the pathway of true emotion and helped me see the difference between pretending and being real. I recomend this course to whoever wants to become an actor or believes that being able to express yourself truthfully is a joy of life! Is Your turn to try! For information visit http://www.actorstemple.com/

1. What gets you angry or makes you sad?
2. Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found a way to work around the sadness or anger?

1. During the Introduction week of Meisner Technique I realised that I stopped focusing on myself whilst doing the repetition exercise but instead I started focusing 'on the other person.' Some people found it hard to do that due to previous experiences in their lives or other personal reasons. Because of this I ended up giving my all but not getting anything in return. This made me both angry and sad; how do people choose to be completely careless and passive? It's so frustrating! I felt really sad when I saw an actor being ready to express his sadness with tears but then instead of letting go, he decided to wear a fake smile on his face and hide his true feelings.

2. My friend Siobhan who is doing the second part of the course and has more experience, she explained to me that some people need more time to realise What Is that hold's them back from 'being free.' This can either be habits of mind or really deep and painful experiences that are hard to let go. Siobhan is one of the few people in my life that sees IN me and always advises me to let go and not feel embarrassed to express my feelings. She's always next to me in hard and good times in my life and I am always there for her too. We both help each other and find ways to get out our sadness or anger but also find a solution to our problems.

1. What do you love about what you do?
2. Who do you admire who also seems to love this or is an example of what you love?

1. I love the fact that I can express my feelings without the thought that I might hurt someone. It's so easy to fall in the trap of thinking and we often if not always, hold back and not say what we feel. I know that it sounds selfish but by doing this we actually put ourselves in a dark shelf and forget how WE really feel. This acting course taught me alot and I am proud to say that I, yes me, flirted a guy for the First time Ever! Usually the opposite happens but This time I just followed my instinct and said out loud what I feel, and yes it felt good!

2. My brother Marios is definitely an example of what I love! Maybe is based on the fact that he's only 12 and when you are this young you don't often think before you say something. If somebody hurts him or makes him sad he'll react and say it straight away, he won't think of the consequences and that's why I admire him!

1. What do you feel you don't understand?
2. Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has the same questions as you?

1. I don't understand how do bad or average actors get to be in well known movies or plays. Is just a shame that some directors and producers Don't See the real actors and just consider (some) famous people the 'right' people for their movies or plays as They are the ones who will bring the money! Why do they not give a chance to the real actors, and not consider money as the most important thing but instead consider the audience's view?

2. My friend Siobhan has the same view as me. We could both tell if an actor just Sais lines or if the lines actually have a meaning for him and they come out from his heart. The audience is always the best judge as they can tell just by seeing if something is fake or not.          
  
              


4 comments:

  1. Hun thanks so much for this post, I'm all about the positives, and it sounds like you've had a really positive experience from the whole task and that's great to see, I hope when I complete the task my experience is as positive as yours. It's really interesting to see your views on actors that may be fairly 'average', but there's no smoke without fire and there is the far too common link with are profession that it's not what you know it's who you know... Which makes networking all the more important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm glad you liked it! It's so true connections is one if not the most important tool in our career. I hope that people use their eyes to really see and not just look in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anastasia,

    I think it is excellent that you are able to speak out and not be afraid of what you say. This is quite a contrast to me as I often 'bottle things up' and don't allow myself to be heard. Having this attitude will get you far and I admire that you can do it. Having the ability to push yourself forward, make yourself heard and seen will definitely work in your favour in auditions etc. Has there been a particular time when you have said something, your feelings or a statement, when it has ended with a positive result, helping you in your professional practice?

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,

    I try my best to speak out and not be afraid of what I say but this will take some more time. If you are used to doing the opposite is not easy to change straight away but I must say that I've seen I big change in me since this course. Thank you for your kind words and I do believe that each of us can do this if we really open our eyes! Em your question is quite tricky as I just started applying this method in my everyday life; well I'm in a girl band group and I did a comment to one of the girls as she was complaining about the choreography. She said that she couldn't do a particular move whilst she was singing but in my opinion she was being very fassy. When I said to her that as performers we must be open to new material that we are not familiar with and that through practice she will gain more confidence, I had a good response from her. She realised that everyone else was trying really hard and that she was complaining about a small dance move; she finaly continued to practice and since then she's been more open and easy to work with. As you can see the WAY we approach someone has a big impact in our professional practice aswell as our everyday life.

    ReplyDelete