Saturday 19 October 2013

Little steps to create MOTIVATION

This is an idea I came up after a discussion I had with one of my flatmates.
Basically, a couple of days ago Alexiane came home feeling upset and frustrated because she didn't go through an audition for a play she really wanted to be part of. She started saying how she's tired of trying so hard and how she's thinking of quiting the acting profession soon.
I then thought; what does 'trying hard' really mean? and how do we know if we reached our limits?
So I came up with the following idea: I got three large pieces of paper and wrote each of our names down; then I put the papers on the wall at a place that they were visible to all the members of the flat even the guests.
The rule was to write down the date and under that, explain what you have done for your career that particular day in a small sentence. For example 'I applied for two castings on Casting Call Pro'.

Some of the benefits of this idea:
  • By seeing what your fellow performer has achieved that day, it keeps you motivated and wanting to do more for your OWN career.
  • Even if you write something as small as 'today I went to an audition' is still suggests that you tried and it fills you with positive energy to keep trying!
  • When you have achieved something that you are proud of why not let everyone else know? It will boost your confidence!
 We applied this method a couple of weeks ago and the results are very possitive! We've all been concentrating on 'doing instead of talking about what to achieve' and we always get so excited when we write down what we have done each day for our career, it keeps us going! We support and we feel proud of each other cause now we know exactly how hard we're trying in order to succeed!

 I suggest you try this method at home too and tell me what do you think of this idea :)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Anastasia, this is such a good idea! I think it really does help to see what you've actually achieved written down in front of you. I have recently taken to making lists of what I need to do and then I feel better when I can tick things of that list. That's because I'm looking for work at the moment and also setting up my own business..sometimes it feels like I'm wasting my time and doing nothing but when I see how much I've ticked off I feel better! Good that you can motivate each other too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the idea and that you are applying a similar method yourself! It works right?! It makes you appreciate what you've already achieved and keeps you going ;)
    Are you back in the UK? If you are we shall meet soon and tell me all about your experience in Cyprus :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hun, yes it's fab! And yes, I am back in the UK now :) Missing Cy still! Would be so great to actually meet in person! x

      Delete
    2. Hi Clare
      This is great! I will msg you soon to meet up xx

      Delete
  3. Anastasia - thanks for sharing that - how does this relate to your inquiry?

    ReplyDelete
  4. anastasia this is a great idea. i reckon motication problems hit everyone in every career especially careers in the arts. I've massively struggled the past to keep my chin up but actually in reality i was probably doing nothing productive!!at all!! there's that hint of competition that gets people motivated at times, and having your achievements or perhaps on some days lack of.. then it pushes you to pull your socks up and crack on. thanks for sharing. i reckon thats a really good idea. perhaps you could make a fb group, take it to a larger scale, invite everyone to put there daily achievements on? i'd get involved with that x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is such a great idea Georgie! I will definitely make a fb group about it!
      Thanks xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Paula
    As my inquiry concentrates in ways to keep up recent graduate's confidence, commitment and motivation towards their career in the Performing Arts Industry, I thought of posting this idea.
    By phisically writing down and displaying your every day achievements you set yourself up to be proactive towards your career. You are not only commiting towards your goals but you are also displaying great determination and maturity that will put you in the right path for a successful career.
    I personally believe that your skills and great work ethic is what will lead you to success; talent and luck are just there for your advantage but without the first two is very unlikely to achieve a long term, successful career.
    The reason why I decided to display our achievements publically is because this way each of us can comment on them. For example, if I took the part in the short film that I applied for, my friend will congratulate me and that will boost my confidence. Also by seeing each others achievements we become curious of how one of us found out about a particular audition, or who was the casting director, or choreographer of the casting etc. This way we build our connections and use our networking skills in our advantage.
    Finally this is a great method of committing to your goals. By keeping our achievements in public display we know that if any guests come by, they will have a look at the three boards and naturally compare our achievements. This is great as it pushes us even more to keep our boards updated and active and without even realising we stay commited towards our career.

    ReplyDelete